PURPOSE

This blog is rather unique from other available blogs. Most blogs are focused on specific topics or issues such as politics, food, travel, etc. This blog is not. The focus for this blog is whatever I want to write or discuss on any given day. The things that interest me and will be discussed at times will include politics, sports, (especially college football and basketball) food, entertainment, pop culture, etc. I hope you enjoy reading and commenting on my blog as much as I will writing it.



Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Cocktail of the Week- Irish Coffee

This winter in Chicago has been pretty mild. With each passing day we are one day closer to March. However, winter may finally be arriving as they are calling for up to 8 inches of snow over the next 2 days. In honor of winter finally arriving, our first cocktail of the week will be Irish Coffee.

The origins of Irish Coffee, like most great cocktails, is disputed. Many believe it began at Shannon International Airport in Ireland. Others claim it began at the Buena Vista Cafe in San Francisco where travel writer Stanton Delaplane of the San Francisco Chronicle worked with the owners of the cafe to perfect the recipe after he had sampled it at the Shannon International Airport. No matter the actual origin, I like it especially on these cold winter days.

The original recipe calls for a shot of Irish Whiskey (I prefer Jameson's), a teaspoon of brown sugar in a coffee mug filled with black coffee. Heavy cream is then floated on top and the coffee drunk through the cream. Some will froth the heavy cream which makes it easier to float on top of the drink. My favorite Irish Coffee recipe is this:

1 Oz. Jameson's Irish Whiskey
1 Oz. Bailey's Irish Cream
6 Ozs Black Coffee
Top with whipped cream

You can use any type of whiskey, but I prefer Irish Whiskey. That's it. Simple. Easy. Delicious. I hope you enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment